YEARS OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
RATING ON GOOGLE REVIEWS
CASES AND CLIENTS
IN SETTLEMENTS & VERDICTS
YEARS OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
IN SETTLEMENTS & VERDICTS
Car accident & personal injury lawyer Ryan DeHoyos explains Texas car accident laws and everything you need to know if you’ve been injured in a car accident in Austin, Texas.
Not only can minor car accidents cause serious consequences for you, but relatively minor accidents may also result in significant injuries. Why should you have to endure something because of someone else’s carelessness on the road?
While no one can take away your discomfort, personal injury lawyers like Ryan DeHoyos can help you file an insurance claim to get the compensation you deserve. Car accidents are unfortunately a common occurrence, but with Ryan’s expertise and practical advice, he will fight to make sure you’re taken care of. Insurance companies are notorious for paying you the bare minimum or running you around for months while you wait for a payout.
Ryan has over a decade of expertise in personal injury cases and will advocate for your interests both inside and outside the courtroom, having been named one of Super Lawyers’ Rising Stars in 2019.
At DeHoyos Law Firm, PLLC, we have extensive experience with the local Austin courts and know how to get you the best possible outcome for your case.
Why hire a car accident injury lawyer in Austin, Texas?
Ryan DeHoyos is an experienced personal injury lawyer who takes on all sorts of accident and injury cases in Austin.
If you’re in a car accident, he will support you by:
- Communicating with the insurance company
- Negotiating with the insurer for a favorable out-of-court settlement
- Suing the insurance company if necessary
- Representing you in court to fight for what you deserve
The types of expenses he can typically claim as part of your case are:
- Medical bills
- Lost earnings
- Property damage
- “Out of pocket” expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral expenses (for wrongful death claims)
Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your automobile accident claim, the insurance company responsible for the damage will not allow you to decide how much compensation is necessary. Claims adjusters from insurance companies will do whatever it takes to reduce their liability and give you less money. Don’t settle. Reach out to Ryan immediately.
Learn More → State Farm Accident Claim Secrets in Texas
Ryan DeHoyos is well-versed in personal injury claims, having worked on many throughout his career. He understands how much your claim is worth because he’s worked on countless claims, similar to yours, before. Furthermore, because of his connection with Austin’s court system, you may concentrate on healing while he handles the legalities.
Why hire Ryan DeHoyos as your personal injury lawyer in Austin?
Ryan A. DeHoyos has over a decade of courtroom experience and is currently expanding his personal injury law practice into the Austin area.
Ryan represents local families who have been injured in accidents and provides them with the resources and knowledge they need to get fairly compensated.
Ryan graduated from South Texas School of Law in 2009 with his Doctor of Jurisprudence. After graduation, he worked for a local law firm and several businesses to develop his litigation and trial skills. Now, he uses this experience to get great results for clients by taking a comprehensive view of legal matters.
His knowledge and understanding of the local court system, the associated procedures, and the personnel involved can benefit your case.
When you choose Ryan DeHoyos to manage your personal injury case, you can expect the following:
- A compassionate, friendly, and focused approach.
- An attorney who is truly focused on your best interests
- A detail-oriented examination of your case
- Tenacious negotiations with the insurance company of the at-fault party
- Open and regular communication to keep you informed at every stage of the process
- No “legalese”, Ryan will explain matters in clear English no matter how complex
- The expertise of a personal injury lawyer recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers
- An impressive track record of success in and out of the courtroom
Ryan DeHoyos will fight for your best interests but you still retain control of the ultimate decision: whether to accept a settlement or proceed to a trial.
His advice and guidance can prove invaluable when making this decision.
Learn More → Progressive Car Accident Claim Secrets in Texas
Can you claim for pain and suffering even after a minor car accident?
Though they may not sound severe, the injuries resulting from minor car accidents can cause major problems.
Bruises, strains, sprains, hairline fractures, stiffness, soft tissue injuries… can all lead to pain and suffering , time off work , temporary disability , loss of quality of life , or psychological trauma .
The at-fault insurance company should cover your damages if you were injured in a car accident. If they will not cover your pain and suffering, we can sue the at-fault party in civil court.
You were just involved in a car accident in Austin. What should you do?
No one can completely avoid an accident, but you can take steps to be prepared for the aftermath. For example, it may seem like common sense but always keep a copy of your car registration and proof of insurance in the glove box so you’re ready if you need them. You will be surprised how many people don’t have these basic documents on hand at the time of their accident.
If the cops come, they will ask for these papers, so it’s helpful to have them on hand. Have a back-up plan to record the license plate number, driver’s registration, and insurance information if your phone dies or you don’t have it with you.
Call an ambulance
Check on your well being and the well being of others.
- Check Yourself for Injuries – Your safety is paramount. After a collision, check for cuts, broken bones, and other injuries. If you need emergency medical treatment, ask someone to call an ambulance or request one yourself.
- Check on Your Passengers – If there is more than one injured person in the accident, you are required to provide reasonable assistance to them, including arranging for their transportation to the hospital. Check on the well-being of any occupants in your vehicle and see whether anybody requires medical attention. Request an ambulance for each accident victim.
- Get to Safe Location – You should stay at the accident site if there are injuries or death. When it is safe to do so, you should go to a secure location away from busy roadways. If your vehicle has just damage and you are not injured, move it off the road to a safer position.
Report the car accident to The Austin police
If you sustain an accident that causes injury or death, you should contact a law enforcement agency right away if:
- It concerns an accident in which someone was harmed or died,
- If you believe that the driver was under the influence of alcohol or
- the damaged vehicles are on the road and cannot be removed.
A motor vehicle operator in Austin, Texas who is injured or involved in a car accident as a result of another motorist’s negligence must:
- If the other driver involved in the accident looks injured, call an ambulance immediately.
- Even if the accident isn’t serious, contact the cops immediately. An official accident report is essential if you want to submit an insurance claim later.
- Wait for the cops to arrive at the scene. Do not depart the location of a vehicle accident before police arrive. If you leave after an automobile collision with an injury, you risk being charged with failure to stop, which is a major felony offense.
To sum up, after you report the car accident to the police, these are the steps you must take:
- Check to see if anyone has any medical issues that police or paramedics should be aware of. In addition to surveying the damage, be sure to check for any injuries and whether the driver or other vehicle occupants require medical treatment. If any other drivers and/or passengers needs to be transported to a safe place, call an emergency medical service (EMS).
- Report the accident to the local police department
Assist with any other needs for help until the police and emergency medical services arrive. It is vital to have a police report for your car accident claim. Make sure you are filing the report correctly by giving all pertinent details.
Make a note of any details you remember from the accident scene.
While you wait for the cops to arrive, snap photos of the accident with your phone’s camera. Take pictures of the vehicles’ positions before they are towed away, as well as any damage done to them.
Try shooting from a variety of angles to get a better picture. If there were any traffic hazards or roadblocks that might have caused the collision, take photos of them as well.
If you believe you were responsible for the collision, stay silent, don’t apologize
It’s too soon to tell what caused the collision, but there may have been a variety of reasons. It’s too soon to determine anything after an accident happens. Exchange information on all drivers involved in the event, including their driver’s licenses, vehicle registrations, and identification numbers. While we advise you to be careful about what you say, talk about the specifics of the collision at your own risk.
After an accident, it is easy to feel anger or rage. However, it is crucial that you remain calm during this time. An outburst could make the situation worse than it already is. Even if you think you were at fault for the accident, do not accuse the other driver or take responsibility yourself.
Avoid apologizing or trying to downplay your injuries in front of others at the scene of an accident. It’s common to be unaware of how crucial your recent injuries are for at least 24 hours after a collision owing to adrenaline masking pain. In fact, you may not feel soreness and discomfort until days later. Insurance firms, on the other hand, may utilize these statements to challenge or reduce your claim payment claims in the future since they appear well-intentioned in the moment.
Been injured in a motor vehicle accident in Austin, TX?
If you have been injured due to another’s negligence, call us at (832) 745-4878 or schedule a free and confidential consultation about your case today.
What questions should you ask a car accident injury attorney?
The stakes are high with car accidents. You want to hire the right personal injury lawyer and the following questions should help you do that:
- What similar cases to mine have you represented?
- Do you have examples of your negotiated settlements with insurance companies?
- Do you have examples of cases you have won in court?
- Have you worked in the Austin courts before?
- How likely is it that my case will go to court?
- How much is my case worth, approximately?
- How will the strategy change if we go to trial?
- How do you charge for your time?
- What are my costs if we do not win any compensation?
- How much time do you have to devote to my case?
- Will you personally handle my case – or a junior attorney?
- What will I have to do during the case? How much will it impact my time?
- How will you communicate with me and provide progress updates?
- How long will my case take to resolve?
What is my personal injury or accident injury case worth?
The value of a personal injury case will ultimately depend on several factors, including:
An accident victim is able to receive compensation for any medical bills that are a direct result of the injuries they got from an accident. This can include costs from before, during, and after treatment.
If you’re unable to work because of an injury caused by someone else, you may be able to receive lost wages compensation that covers what you would have earned if the accident never happened.
Any good auto accident lawyer will do everything in their power to make sure you, the victim, are fairly compensated for your injuries. To get you the money you deserve, they’ll investigate every possible source of recovery — not just from the at-fault driver’s insurance company but from other places too.
For instance, if that driver only had a low liability policy or no car insurance at all (which is illegal in most states), and you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage as part of your own car insurance policy, then we can go after them instead.
Even your own car insurer may try to give you the runaround though so don’t expect an easy battle ahead.
No insurance company wants to run the risk of a massive jury verdict, which is why car accident victims need an experienced lawyer.
The two sorts of damages that can be recuperated in a vehicle accident claim are non-economic and economic. Economic losses include future and past medical expenses, as well as lost income. Non-economic losses, on the other hand, are more subjective, such as emotional suffering and physical and mental suffering.
Whether your life has been changed temporarily or forever as a result of a car accident in San Antonio, Ryan DeHoyos and his team will provide all the help and support you need.
Accident Injury Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main causes of car accidents in Austin?
Car accidents are often caused by speeding and reckless driving, which is among the most common causes of vehicle accidents in Austin, Texas.
Other people’s heedless actions might cause injuries, lost income, and other difficulties for families. Injured car accident victims frequently face medical expenses as well as the expense of replacing or repairing their automobile.
Examples of reckless driving accidents include collisions caused by:
- Excessive speeding or racing
- Passing a stopped school bus
- Passing on a crest of a grade or curve
- Crossing double lines to pass a car
- Driving at night without headlights
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
- Entering the highway through the exit ramp
- Driving with faulty equipment, such as bad brakes
- Weaving in and out of lanes
What are the most common types of car accidents?
In the Austin area, we see the following types of accidents most frequently:
- Head-on collisions
- Side-impact collisions
- Low-speed accidents (e.g., in parking lots)
- Merging accidents
- Single-vehicle accidents (e.g., hitting a tree)
- Multi-vehicle crashes (accidents that cause a “domino effect”)
For further information on this, check out our post on the Different Types of Car Accidents.
Is it worth getting a lawyer for a minor car accident?
It may be. Even minor accidents can cause injuries that have a lasting impact. It’s best to discuss your options with a car accident attorney who can assess whether you have a valid claim for compensation during a case evaluation.
What if both parties are at fault?
Texas applies “comparative fault” laws for car accident injuries.
This means that when two or more parties are adjudged to be at-fault for an accident, the amount of compensation due for the injured victim is potentially reduced by the amount of fault apportioned to them.
Provided you were 50 percent or less at-fault for an accident, you can claim compensation from the other party or parties for the remaining portion of the fault.
So, if you were awarded $60,000 in compensation but were considered to be 40 percent at-fault for the accident you would receive $36,000 (which is 60 percent of $60,000).
What is the Statute of Limitations on car accident claims in Texas?
In Texas, you have two years from the date of your accident to bring a claim for damages caused by your injuries. It is critical to file a claim as soon as possible after an accident since it may help you in court when making a claim.
To learn more about Texas Statute of Limitations, read our extensive article here.