Suffering an injury as the result of somebody else’s negligence can be very difficult and expensive to recover from.
That is why the law gives you the right to file a personal injury claim and recover the value of what you have lost due to your injuries in the event that you are injured, and it was not your fault.
Unfortunately, personal injury claims can be difficult and time-consuming. For this reason, we recommend you contact a knowledgeable Texas personal injury lawyer before filing a claim.
Personal Injury Case Timeline for Houston Accidents
Listed below is a timeline of a typical personal injury case and some of the steps involved:
- Accident and medical attention. If you are involved in an accident, seek medical attention without delay. Even if you don’t think you’re seriously injured, it’s important to seek medical attention if you are having any discomfort or pain from the accident and follow your doctor’s directions. Also, save the receipts, prescriptions, and instructions from your doctor or health care provider. These documents can be helpful later on in your case.
- Consult with an attorney. If the accident wasn’t your fault, speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An experienced lawyer can evaluate your case, explain the claims process, and help you file a claim and navigate the court system, if necessary.
- Investigate claim and medical records. When insurance companies get word of a potential personal injury claim, they assign a claim adjuster to the case. The claims adjuster will begin to investigate by requesting official documents such as police reports and medical records.
- File an insurance claim or demand settlement. The next step is to work with your attorney to notify the person responsible for your injuries that you intend to file a claim or demand a settlement.
- Discovery. This process consists of both parties exchanging information such as witnesses, facts related to the case and other evidence. This is an important part of the claims process because it informs everyone involved about the facts regarding the case.
- Negotiation. At this point, your lawyer can negotiate with the other parties to settle a claim that you deem acceptable. Most personal injury claims are settled through negotiation.
- Lawsuit is filed. If your claim cannot be settled in negotiation, you and your attorney will have to file a lawsuit.
- Trial. If your case goes to trial, you will have to testify under oath about the nature of your injuries. In court, both sides will have the opportunity to present evidence, and a judge or jury will make the final verdict regarding the claim.
Because the claims process is complicated, it’s recommended you contact a Texas personal injury lawyer for assistance.
Contact knowledgeable personal injury attorneys in Texas
Being injured because of the negligence or carelessness of another person can turn your whole world upside down.
At DeHoyos Law, our experienced legal team knows how to protect the rights of our clients and get them the value of what an injured person has lost. We handle all types of personal injury cases in the Houston area.
For a free consultation, give us a call at (832) 745-4878 or contact us online today.