Corpus Christi Car Accident Lawyer
With a growing number of vehicles on Corpus Christi’s roads, it’s not surprising that the number of automobile accidents has also increased.
Alcohol-related accidents, speeding, and other forms of dangerous driving are of particular concern due to the severe injuries that can result from accidents.
As experienced car accident lawyers located here in the Rio Grande Valley, DeHoyos Law can help you claim compensation if you or a family member has sustained injuries in a car accident in Corpus Christi.
Get in contact with us as soon as possible so that we can evaluate your case and help you get through this difficult time.
Steps to take if you are the victim of an automobile accident
If you are the victim of a car accident in Corpus Christi, it is likely to be an extremely stressful time and urgent medical care may be required.
Make sure that you receive medical attention, even if you think your injuries are only minor.
Getting checked by a medical professional ensures that any injuries are documented and that you are thoroughly checked for internal injuries that may not immediately be obvious.
The treatment plan prescribed by your doctor should be carefully followed and follow-up appointments attended. This is all part of building a case to present to a third-party insurance company as all your medical costs and inconveniences must be documented.
If possible, in the aftermath of your accident, try to follow these steps:
- Gather contact information/insurance/license information from other parties involved in the accident
- Gather the contact details of any witnesses, if it safe and possible to do so
- Make a written record of the precise events of the accident – whatever you remember (as clearly as you can)
- Take photos or videos to back up your version of events, if possible
- Preserve any evidence that supports your claim
- Help police officers and medical professionals complete their reports by answering their questions
- Get copies of these reports
- Retain all receipts for medical bills, rehabilitation etc., in relation to your accident
- If your life has been greatly affected by the accident, record your experiences in a journal
That’s what you should do.
One thing you shouldn’t do is answer any questions from third-party insurance company representatives without first contacting your car accident lawyer.
You have two years to make a claim for a car accident in Texas but it is best to claim as soon as possible after gathering the necessary evidence, while it is still fresh in your mind.
What damages can I recover after an auto accident in Texas?
Claiming damages from a third-party insurance company after an automobile accident is rarely simple.
Even in clear cases of negligent driving, initial offers from insurance companies may be far less than you are entitled to.
It’s important to have the guidance of an experienced car accident lawyer, who can help you claim for the following (as necessary):
- Medical costs – ambulance fees, in-patient services, surgery, physical therapy, medication, etc.
- Lost earnings – medical treatment or disability from an accident can prevent you from earning your normal salary at work
- Pain and suffering – many accidents impair quality of life and you can claim for the pain and suffering it causes
- Permanent disability – a life-altering injury, such as loss of a limb, traumatic brain injury or paralysis is a significant loss for which adequate compensation should be sought
- Loss of affection or companionship – sometimes, injuries from car accidents directly cause the loss of ability to give and receive affection or companionship in a personal relationship, for which a claim can be made
- Death – surviving family members may be able to sue for the loss of a loved one from a car accident
- Punitive damages – damages may be awarded over and above the losses that you have experienced, depending on the actions of the at-fault party in your case
While all car accidents are different, in the worst cases you may be able to claim for all of the above.
Our car accident lawyer will examine the precise details of your case and look to maximize your claim depending on the losses you have suffered.
Reporting a car accident in Texas
Chapter 550 of the Texas Transportation Code states that the driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of a person or significant damage to a vehicle must “immediately by the quickest means of communication” report the accident to the local police department or the sheriff’s office.
You are not required by law to report the accident to your insurance company. However, insurance policies stipulate that you should do this.
As a general rule, it is best to report any accident to your insurance company as soon as possible after it occurs to ensure that coverage will be there if required.
What is the comparative negligence law in Texas?
“Comparative negligence” means that you may be able to claim damages for an accident even if you are found to be partly at fault yourself.
It provides for parties to be held proportionally at fault for any accident and Texas law follows this system.
So, if you are awarded $150,000 in damages but the court finds you to be one-third at-fault for the accident, you would receive only $100,000 in compensation.
If two other parties were found to be equally at fault for the remaining two-thirds, they would each need to pay $50, 000.
However, if you are more than 50 percent responsible for the accident, you cannot sue other parties for losses incurred.
How can a car accident lawyer recover compensation in Texas?
Our car accident attorney at DeHoyos Law is experienced in dealing with insurance companies and negotiating favorable out-of-court settlements.
We are also prepared to go to trial and push for fair compensation for your losses if no settlement is possible.
You should be focusing on your recovery at this stressful time. We will take care of the legal processes and prepare a powerful case for maximum compensation.
Claim for a car accident injury in Corpus Christi
The first step is for us to examine the facts of your case. Arrange a free consultation today to start the process.
Remember, we only get paid if you win your claim.